Ragging Free Campus
SNU University Campus is ragging free campus. Number of Anti-Ragging measures are in place to ensure strict compliances.
Students will refrain from ragging of any kind and those who violate this rule will be instantly suspended from the University and from the hostel for a period of 15 days. The matter will be placed before the Anti- Ragging Committee, which will review the incident of ragging and take action according to the due process of law. Students must take note that ragging results in their dismissal from University. The attention of the students is also drawn to the judgment of the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India wherein it is mandatory for the institution to file a complaint with the Police Authority, and with all resulting consequences as per "The Circular of the Education Department, Government of West Bengal on Prohibition of Ragging in Colleges and Hostel."
Anti - Ragging Measures
- Government/University Grant Commission (UGC), guidelines notified vide no. F.1-16/2009 (CPP-II) dated 21-10-2009 on Curbing the Menace of Ragging in Higher Educational Institutions, 2009 (Under Section 26(1) (g) of the University Grant Commission Act, 1956) are strictly implemented at SNU University.
- In Addition to the above, those students who indulge in the acts of ragging shall attract the punishment as applicable, which include any one or combination thereof:
- Expulsion from the University/Hostel.
- Suspension from the classes.
- Withholding of scholarship or other benefits extended to those involved in ragging.
- Debarring from representation in cultural or sports events, or any other representation in events for which the student(s) may have been selected.
- Withholding of examination results.
- Entering the ragging incident on the Transfer Certificate/Migration Certificate of the students, which might adversely affect their career.
- No placement assistance to the students found guilty of ragging.
- Filling of complaint by the affected student with the Police Authority (as per the Supreme Court’s Directive).
- The affected student is required to submit an anti-ragging affidavit as per UGC notification.
- Continuous watch and vigil over ragging by SNU University and the University will promptly deal with the incidents of ragging brought to its notice.
- The University will summarily punish or reprimand the guilty student, either by itself or by following procedures, administrative or otherwise, by constituting a special Enquiry Committee and put forth its findings or recommendations before the competent authority to take decision.
- Students are encouraged to report any ragging act witnessed or experienced by them to the University administrators, faculty, Disciplinary Committee or other any staff member with whom the student may feel comfortable. The University ensures the confidentiality of such a disclosure by the student.
The Disciplinary Committee will deal with all disciplinary matters. The Committee shall constantly monitor the behavior of the students. All disciplinary matters will be placed before the Committee, which will hear the matter and take action according to the due process of law. The Disciplinary Committee hearing any matter will pass a resolution of termination, suspension, retention, penalties or any other action as deemed fit and necessary. The decision of the committee shall be final and binding.